José Mota — Curriculum Vitae
Last update: November 2020
With a 12-year career in the software industry, I leverage teams and companies in both technical and business settings through leadership, communication and training, in order to achieve the best value faster and better.
Career & Experience
Software Engineer, Technical Specialist and Advisor, Award-winning Trainer
BOLD International, 2016–
- Founder of «Project: BOLD University», an efort to bridge the gap between academia and industry.
- Engaged in meaningful conversations with top universities in Portugal, so as to create opportunities for synergies between them and the company, with special attention to students and their expectations towards the workplace.
- Performed lectures in some of these universities regarding miscellaneous topics of software development, interpersonal and communication skills, and personal development.
- Trained fellow colleagues in specifc topics of software development.
Underwriters Laboratories — 2016–Today
- Product development, team lead, design and implementation of GoodGuide.com. Full platform rework of the website, resorting to cutting-edge web technology.
- Team leadership and implementation of a company’s distributed business intelligence web application.
- Project manager of an internal design system. Planned, executed and monitored several aspects of that activity: stakeholders, schedule, delivery, scope, procurement, communications.
Educator and Video Content Creator
Envato (Tuts+) — 2012–2016
- Lead video content producer in all matters Ruby. Produced over 50 diferent courses, for all lev-els of difficulty, from various study perspectives. Exploring libraries through examples and practical applications were the keystone of my approach.
Interaction Designer, Frontend Developer
IUZ Technologies — 2010–2012
- Integrated the company to join on various projects, from public healthcare to retail.
Goweb — 2010
- Assisted in the development of client work in the retail industry.
Frontend Developer, Designer
Weebiz — 2009
- Redesign and implementation of Weebiz.com.
Education & Training
Most of my education and skill set has been attained from autonomous learning, experimentation and professional experience.
Degree in Computer Science Engineering
Instituto Superior de Engenharia do Porto — 2004–2009
Certified trainer by IEFP, I.P.
Twofold — Design Studio & Formação Unipessoal, #F668590/2018
Multiple UX certifications
Interaction Design Foundation — 2019
- User Experience: The Beginner’s Guide
- Design Thinking: The Beginner’s Guide
- Become a UX Designer from Scratch
- RubyConf Portugal
- Ruby Norte
- Barcamp PT
- User experience
- Application design
- Product development
- Project management
- Office productivity tools
- Remote technical team setup
José has been a key member of our team at Envato Tuts+ for several years. In the time that I’ve worked with him I’ve come to rely greatly on his comprehensive knowledge of the Ruby language and the Ruby on Rails framework. José leads our coverage of the Ruby ecosystem, using his judgment and connections to the community to plan and produce relevant, cutting-edge content.
It has been a pleasure to work with José. I’ve found him to be diligent, conscientious, and reliable. His own competence has made my job much easier. His skill as a Ruby developer, moreover, continues to amaze me.
— Adam Brown, Content Producer at Tuts+
José is the colleague every company dreams of: very professional, high values of quality and excellence. Dedicated and entrepreneurial, he always seeks the best opportunities, readily showing initiative and value propositions that elevate his company’s status. José is not only a strong recommendation of mine, I consider him to be a “must have” to any innovative, daring company.
— Elsa Soares, Human Resources Specialist, former colleague